My Search for a Retirement Location, by Nannett Thomas


 My search for a new place to retire began two years after I retired from the Los Angeles Unified School District in 2012. Living in southern California had become too expensive with increased state and local taxes. Wanting my pension to financially support me for decades and go as far as possible, I began looking for tax-friendly states for retirees. I have family in Georgia, so in 2015, I moved from Southern California to Georgia - which met my needs as a tax-free state for pensioners. 

Observing the rising costs of goods and services, economic decline, and changing political scene - I once again began searching and researching in 2017 for economically and politically sound places to retire.


This time I began looking outside of the United States of America. The other Americas were calling my name: Central America, South America, and Mexico were attractive options to me.  Countries such as Ecuador, Guatemala, Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica, and Mexico had retiree resident visas which I could easily apply for and meet their requirements. 


Now came the time for me to do intensive research via online sources and to visit various countries before my final decision to move out of the USA. 


 “What I want and need to Move” list which consisted of : 

  • Lower cost of living
  • Year-round, Spring-like weather
  • 4 +/-hour flight to the USA  
  • Small town/city
  • English speaking ex-pat community
  • Near First Class hospitals
  • Within 1 hour of International airport


With the list above I began my search for my new home. Facebook, Youtube, and Google maps became my primary resources for investigative information. I joined numerous Facebook groups in each country and chosen cities to meet ex-pats and ask questions as needed. The Youtube vlogs (video blogs) allowed me to visually view the geography of the various places I wanted to visit.


During my research and investigation, I discovered that Mexico had a unique English-speaking ex-pat community of retirees called Lakeside.  Lakeside is five towns (called Pueblos here) consisting of Chapala, San Antonio Tlayacapan, Ajijic, San Juan Cosala and Jocotepec on the northern shore of Lake Chapala in the state of Jalisco. Lakeside has been and is a haven for retirees from Canada and the USA for decades. Lakeside checked all the items on my “What I want and need to Move” list. So, in August of 2017, I flew to Mexico and spent 2 weeks exploring Lakeside, meeting Facebook friends in person, and making new friends. 


Wow! Have I found my new place to retire?


Upon returning home to Georgia, I made a decision to move to Lakeside in Mexico.  Thus began the process of downsizing, selling, packing, and applying for my retiree resident visa. Luckily, there is a Mexican consulate in Atlanta, Georgia which meant I did not have to travel to another state to begin the visa application process. My permanent residency visa was granted. On July 1, 2018, I arrived at Lakeside and began my new life.


Now I have been here now for three years, I am gently and easily learning the Mexican culture and language.  My living costs are ¼ of my former USA monthly costs. My friends are from all walks of life and are mostly Mexican or what we call NOB (North of the Border).  There are many activities to partake of  Lakeside. Some of my favorites are: Outdoor dining in the near-perfect climate with friends, participating in esoteric discussion groups, camaraderie with the Black women living here, walking along the lakeshore, and watching the sunsets and sunrises, to name a few. 


Yes!  I have found my place to retire. 






Thank you, Lake Chapala, Jalisco Mexico 







 



Comments

  1. Wow. You just wrote a great template for how to do it. Congratulations, glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life is an Adventure. Embrace it! by Marsha Gardner Waltz

A Life Fulfilled , by Judy Miller

Courage to Follow Your Heart , by Katelyn Daniels